This year’s Wales Airshow is taking place on June 30 and July 1. The Airshow will be bigger and better than ever and we’re expecting another record turnout of visitors. This year’s show will be helping commemorate the centenaries of the Royal Airforce Force (RAF) and the end of World War I with more ground entertainment, exhibitions and displays as well as airborne shows.
We are sure you will have witnessed that the Airshow has been a huge success for Swansea and now that it is an annual event, it has outgrown its original site along the promenade. In order to be able to support the increasing numbers of visitors and to allow more space for ground events, we will now need to expand the event on to Oystermouth Road. As a result, it will be necessary to close a section of Oystermouth Road for the weekend beginning on Friday, June 29, to allow exhibitors to have enough time to set up ahead of the start of the show the following day.
Following negotiations with our event stakeholders, including South Wales Police, a number of road closures, traffic diversions and parking restrictions are necessary in the immediate area in order to safely and securely facilitate the event;
- Oystermouth Road from its junction with West Way through to Mumbles Road at the junction with Sketty Lane will be closed in both directions from approximately 10am on Friday, June 29. The road will re-open temporarily from 3pm to approximately 7pm for westbound traffic only using the eastbound section of Oystermouth Road. Once closed at 7pm Oystermouth Road will remain closed until 6am on Monday, July 2.
- Diversions will be in place
- In addition vehicles will not be able to enter /exit onto Oystermouth Road from St Helen’s Road, Bond Street or Beach Street between 10am on June 29 and 6am on July 2.
- Access to the Marina for residents will be maintained via Dunvant Place.
- Access to Argyle Street for residents will be maintained using a short diversion via the Civic Centre.
For safety, security and to aid traffic movement in the area we are required to keep some roads free of parked vehicles. In order to be able to ensure this, there will be parking restrictions and a tow away zone on Oystermouth Road from 10am on Friday (29/06/18) until 6am on Monday (02/07/18). If you are affected by these closures, we would kindly request that you move your vehicle to an alternative location before 10:00hrs on Friday 29th June.
If you have further questions, please check the FAQs on the websites first. For any further information, please email us at email@example.com or call 01792 635428 during normal office hours.
Over the weekend itself (Saturday & Sunday) between 10am – 6pm we will be setting up a residents contact line at 01792 635428. We would urge you to use it to report any concerns or issues in relation to the event.
This post is also available in: Welsh